Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book Review: Looking For Alaska by John Green

Buy "Looking For Alaska" on Amazon
Check it out on Goodreads

SYNOPSIS:
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and
tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding
school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais
called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at
Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny,
screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into
her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.

To start off with, I know it looks bad that I only gave it 3 stars, but I tried. I wanted to love this book. The synopsis sounded great. And everyone loves this book. It started off great, but it just kinda plateaued somewhere in the "okay" section...

It was good, but it wasn't great. It was a nice story, but the book was really about nothing until I'd say the last third. I almost had a hard time getting thru it.

Stuff is happening, Miles is making friends, having fun, exploring his new school and pulling pranks... Those parts were enjoyable to read, but it became almost routine. For me, it was like nothing really epic was happening, it got boring. Then all of a sudden the one and only big thing happens and it's like "oh! wow!" Then they spend the rest of the book trying to sort that out and when they do it's like "ohhhh.... Uhhhh, okay...."

One thing I will say was amazing was the writing. John Green was perfect. I felt like throughout the book, I was one of the friends. Just standing with them as all this is happening. It was great.

I suppose this book just wasn't for me, but everyone else seems to love it. So I'd still recommend it.

I gave it 3 stars... And look forward to reading more John Green books.


Enjoy your day!

-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...