Thursday, June 21, 2012

Review: Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom

Death Note.... Oh how I love thee!


Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom by Tsugumi Ohba
Amazon -- Goodreads

SYNOPSIS:
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects - and he's
bored out of his mind. But all that changes when he finds the
Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god.

Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now
Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the
world of evil. But when criminals begin dropping dead, the
authorities send the legendary detective L to track down the
killer. With L hot on his heels, will Light lose sight of his
noble goal...or his life?

Light tests the boundaries of the Death Note's powers as L and
the police begin to close in. Luckily Light's father is the head
of the Japanese National Police Agency and leaves vital information
about the case lying around the house. With access to his father's
files, Light can keep one step ahead of the authorities. But who
is the strange man following him, and how can Light guard against
enemies whose names he doesn't know?


I first heard about Death Note about 3 years ago, but only as the cartoon. I didn't realize until recently that it was actually manga. So I knew the gist of it just from what I was told about the show, but I never watched the show because I'm not really into anime. BUT, when I heard it was manga, I was interested... Of course I'd rather read it than watch it.... So I did, and I loved it!

So as you can tell, this is my first manga ever. Never read a comic book or graphic novel either, but, I loved it. I loved having pictures. And facial expressions. And just seeing the city and everything really. I do love creating the world in my head like when reading regular books, but it was helpful not having to do that. I could pay a whole lot more attention to detail on what was really going on.

Death Note has 12 volumes. Plus Vol. 13 is an encyclopedic guide to the series, including character bios, storyline summaries, interviews with creators Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, production notes and commentaries, and bonus manga pages.

I've read the first 2 volumes so far, I'll either do a series review or maybe split it into half. So maybe when I'm done with Vol. 6 I'll do another review to tell you guys how I'm liking it and all that jazz.

With all that said... Of course I gave it 5 stars!

I've included some pictures from the beginning of the volume... Just for fun!
ENJOY!

Have a good day!
-Angela

2 comments:

  1. My cousin really likes Death Note. Alright, I am pretty sure this is one that she loves. I have never read it or watched the anime. When I first read cartoon I couldn't help but think of how much that would bother my cousin but then I noticed you did call it anime later on lol. I am just starting to get into Manga as well. I might have to try this one out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wasn't sure what to call it without offending people who are really into it. So, I threw out a few different names. Lol. You really should read it, it's really good. And it's a really quick read. You can easily read a volume in between other books in just a few hours :)

    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...