Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Bared To You (Crossfire #1) by Sylvia Day


Synopsis:
Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness…
He was beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I’d never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily…
Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other’s most private wounds…and desires.
The bonds of his love transformed me, even as i prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...

My Thoughts:
First of all in the very beginning, I love her description of Manhattan. It made me feel like I was there. And it had me wishing I could get a really fancy job and move to new York. And live the "good" life.

After reading fifty shades of dumb shit, I decided I wanted to find a book that would do it right, because lets face it, Fifty Shades was totally lame. It was okay for all you extreme romantics, but not for me. I'd been seeing Bared to You online, everyone was saying it was similar, but better. And it was everywhere I went. So I finally picked it up at Costco. And I'm very glad I did.

It wasn't Fifty Shades (thank god). Some of the same things. Like the rich, hot men. And the whole you're obviously fucked up in the head, therefore you can't have a normal functioning relationship so you screw every woman on earth, until you see me.. An then we have some fabulous connection, but I don't want you, but you're hot, so I'll talk to you kind of thing...

But I loved this book. It wasn't stupid or cheesy. Or COMPLETELY unrealistic like Fifty Shades. It was unrealistic in some parts, but only a few. I was so happy there were no Inner goddess talk. Or a dumb college student with no idea about how adult relationships work. I don't mean to offend anyone that liked Fifty Shades of Grey either. Just my personal opinion.

The writing was spectacular. The details during the sexy times were awesome. Like seriously, this book was some of the best erotica I've ever read. It was so hot, I almost made some bad decisions while reading this book! I'll save you the story, but it could've been bad. One thing I was quite upset about was that were no bdsm elements like I had expected. People kept saying there were some in this book, but no, there's not. It was still a great book though. 

I loved how strong of a character Eva was, even though she's kind of submissive to Gideon. She has her life together, she just got this new job and moved to New York from California. She has her best friend/bi sexual roommate to keep her company and make sure she doesn't make really stupid choices. And she has her own money, about 5 million dollars, and that is a whole story in its own. But I'll let you read the book to figure that one out. I thought she was a pretty good person considering her traumatic past.

I liked Gideon Cross also. He was smart, handsome, rich, strong minded, persistent, and very honest and forward at times.. But there was something really weird going on with him and his family. So there's a little bit of mystery there, which was nice. Some of the characters I couldn't stand were her mother and step father. Her mother got on my last nerve. I just wanted to put tape over her mouth and lock her in the closet or something. She just wanted to control Eva so bad. But it's not over powering in the story. I think it's actually essential. Overall I thought it was amazing. I gave it 4 stars on Goodreads. And I can't wait for the second book in the series: Reflected in You, which will be released Oct. 23, 2012. 


Did you read Fifty Shades?
Have you read Bared to You?
Did you like Eva & Gideon?
Do you think the books compare?
If not, are they on your TBR?

2 comments:

  1. I have not read Fifty Shades but i know a lot of people love it or hate it. My sister said she liked it but she read this one too and I think she said she liked it better. I want to read both some time but i dont know when that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fifty Shades is most definitely one of those love or hate books. I personally liked the first one. It was the other two that i hated, but I'll be doing a review on those soon. I'm just letting my feelings sink in. Haha. But Bared to You is way better in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...