Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Book Review: The Walking Dead, Vol 1: Days Gone Bye

ZOMBIESSS!

The Walking Dead Volume 1: Days Gone Bye
by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore


Synopsis:
An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living. 


My Thoughts:
ZOMBIES! Everybody loves zombies! Except me... I've seen Zombieland, but other than that, nothing. I've never read any zombie books or watched zombie shows. But I do like them and think its quite interesting. And to think of the whole zombie apocalypse idea is entertaining.

So to start this review, I'll start with how I first heard of The Walking Dead. It was the show, my sister heard about it and watched it and obviously thought it was absolutely epic. She forced me to watch one episode, which I liked, but didn't quite understand what was going on because it wasn't the first episode. And for some reason I didn't continue to watch it.

Well the other day I was looking for comic books for my son to read, to get him more interested in reading, and came across The Walking Dead. So I figured I liked the show, and the books are always better, so I should just read it. And I had only saw one episode, which was in the first season, so it wasn't spoiled for me. Perfect! So I got the first book, which is he first 6 issues put together to make up a sort of graphic novel.

So what did I think...? It was amazing! I was hoping it'd be in color, but it wasn't, which is okay. I've yet to read a comic book or manga that's in color, so it didn't bother me too much. And when I thought about it, they'd have to deal with all the colors of the blood and flesh. So it makes sense. I love how it starts out and you're just kind of thrown in there. And you don't know what's happening or what has started all of this craziness. I love learning along with the characters.

I wasn't expecting there to be that many characters either, but I suppose it makes sense. With 17 volumes so far and over 100 issues, you gotta start big and start killing off people so you can get some more in there and then kill them! That's what makes a good story.. Right..? :)

Let's talk about the art... Oh my god! Fabulous! It's so detailed with the zombies. The facial expressions are great. I haven't read any other comic books out there, so I don't have much to compare it to, except for Death Note. And I think it's done very well. The only problem I seem to have is I forget to look at the pictures. I'm too focused on hurrying up and reading through it, because I just want to know what happens. So I have to tell myself to slow down. Enjoy it. Look at the pictures :)

The story telling was great too. There was never a dull moment. It was very informative when we're figuring out what's going on. The back story (before the zombie apocalypse started) was good and not overpowering. I gave it 5 stars, I would've gave it more if possible. I've continued reading the series and I'm enjoying every issue. I can't wait to see where this goes... Bottom Line: READ IT! 


Do you like comics? 
Have a favorite series?
Read any in this series?
Seen the show? Like it?

I've inserted a picture here just for fun! 

Have a nice day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...