Saturday, October 20, 2012

Book Review: Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan


Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan
Book #1 - Paranormals Series

Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town. 

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth... but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all. 

**Not recommended for readers under eighteen.**

My Thoughts:
Holy shizzz.. Wow. I really don't know where to begin. I stumbled upon this book when I was looking for books to read for Halloween, I think it was pretty high up on one list on Goodreads. So I looked it up and read some reviews. Everyone seemed to love it. And I saw that it was free for iPad, so I thought hey, why not?!

When I started reading the book, I was really intrigued. The story line and characters seemed pretty unique to begin with. Especially Jenny, I'd never read anything like this before. So I wasn't really sure what to expect, it was a little slow getting really into the story. The plot was slowly building. I'd say for me, it really picked up about half way through.

One thing I do wanna talk about is the graphic-ness in this book. I thought it was YA. I assumed it was, but apparently not, there were only a few sex scenes, but they were way to much for YA. So, that's just a little FYI if you're a young reader. And while doing this post and reading the synopsis again, I saw at the very bottom: *Not recommended for readers under eighteen.* So I've included it in this post just so you know. 

Now onto the characters, I liked Jenny, she seemed really nice and obviously quiet since she had no friends and was picked on all the time. But she was a very good daughter, she always tried to help her dad. And later on in the book she really shows a lot of strength and development. Her character pretty much did a 180, but only in the best of ways.

Since I read this for Halloween, I thought it would be violent and deathly. And in to beginning there's not, but toward the end. Wow. Everything sort of comes out. And then the very end. Like the last 20-30 pages. Like really?! Was anybody else really shocked at that? I was so confused for all of chapter 25, like what is gong on... But overall I liked it a lot. I gave it four stars on Goodreads. And I'll definitely be reading the other books in the series.

And just a little FYI, Jenny Pox is free on almost every e-reader except Nook.


Have you read it?
Plan on reading it?
You should! It's free!
Read it for Halloween!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I thought this book was slow to start off with as well. The next book is just as good as this one and we're introduced to some new characters with some pretty awesome powers :)

    New follower via GFC
    Kristen @ BetweenTheLines -WithK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad to hear that, I can't wait to read the next one.

      I'm following you too. I love your blog :) It's so cute!

      Delete
  2. I have not yet but I have it on my kindle app on m phone. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it soon! It was really great!

      Delete
  3. I have read it and that ending did take me by surprise. Plus the end of the book had much more violence and gore than the rest of the book did but I liked that Jenny stepped up and took care of the people who refused to accept her.

    I started to read Tommy Nightmare before school started back up in August but then I had so many review books to read for the blog I forgot to pick it back up to read the second half.

    I'm glad you liked Jenny though, hope you enjoy the rest of the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree. I was worried that she would back down and let them keep treating her however they felt like.

      I can't wait to start Tommy Nightmare, I just need to actually get it first.

      Awww, you should finish it. You're half way there! :) Thanks, and thank you for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Oooooh, I got this one last week and you've seriously whetted my appetite for it now.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. After you've read it, you should stop back by and read my 2 cents post on it. I haven't put it up yet, but it's pretty much for people who've read the book and want to talk about the craziness.

      Go read it!

      Delete

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...