Friday, October 19, 2012

Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang
Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. 

Why aren't they settling? Why isn't one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn't . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


My Thoughts:
I'm writing this little bit after reading the first chapter. I can already tell this is gonna be a great book and right up my alley. I can't wait to see where this goes. I'm already getting that feeling where I want to constantly read it. So I'm going to go do that.

Now I'm about half way through and I'm really liking it so far. Its very different. I am having a little trouble grasping the whole bit about how there are two people in one body. You know how when you're reading a book it just plays out in your mind like a movie. Well that little bit keeps getting me stuck. I'm not sure how to picture it. I'm trying to use special effects in my brain to help me out, so far it's doing okay, but I keep picturing a set of eyeballs inside this girls head looking out into the world through her sisters eyes. It's actually pretty creepy to think about. The characters are growing nicely and there are some suspenseful parts, I'm going to go finish it now.

So yeah. I just finished the book and wow. Just wow. It was amazing. And very confusing at times. But mostly wonderful. So from the start of the book, you know it's wrong that they're hybrid. So that kinda sets the mood for the book. It was mostly suspenseful and then at about 80% through the book, it really picks up. Everything gets crazy. All the action starts. I started getting really anxious and wanting everything to be okay.

It took me a little longer to read this book than I had wanted, but I had to take a little road trip to California. And that took several days of my time since I did most of the driving. But I really got back into it. And I'm really glad I did.

It's kinda hard to talk about this book without giving stuff away, but I'm going to try. At first I didn't like Addie. She seemed like she was kinda stuck up and better than Eva just because she was the dominant soul and could control the body when Eva couldn't. But her character really grew, as did all of the characters.

Let's talk a little about the climax and plot twist. It got crazy. I didn't expect it to be that, but it makes a lot of sense. I was really skeptical toward the end. I didn't really know how all this was going to end up.. And I was really scared there for a minute. But after that I was very pleased. I'm just wondering what the next book will hold. It closed everything off pretty nicely which I was pleased about. But it doesn't say what the future holds for them.

Overall I give it four stars. It was a really good book, but don't think it made my favorites list. It would make a really interesting movie though. And props to the author for coming up with such an interesting and original idea. And executing it very well. Go Kat Zhang!


[Goodreads - Amazon - B&N]

So this was my first read
for Halloween this year.
You can check out my
Halloween TBR here.
What are you reading 
this Halloween?

Have you read this book?
Is it on your TBR list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...