Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Favorite 'World Building' Authors


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly
 meme held over at The Broke and the Bookish

This weeks topic is your top ten favorite authors
in a specific genre. For Example: Dystopian, 
Contemporary, Sci-Fi...

I chose dystopian, but not just dystopian, because some of my authors aren't classified as such. My selections are authors that are amazing at world building. Describing how that world works and having it flow in my head like a movie. Or when it's still our world, but society is so much different, everything is ran completely different than now. 


My choices:

Veronica Roth
Ahhh, Veronica Roth, the wonderful author of Divergent. I loved Divergent from the first few pages, I knew I was going to fall in love with it. And I did. The world that they live in is crazy, and although we don't know exactly what's going on, we will soon. Can't wait for the third and final book. 








Cat Patrick


Cat Patrick... If you haven't read Forgotten or Revived, you need to. That's need to be on your 'right after I finish this' list! She is amazing at this kinda stuff. Both are set in the present, but when you get sucked into the stories and see how differently their own personal world is... It's amazing.
Tahereh Mafi











I started reading Shatter Me and was instantly drawn in and not even really knowing why. I had heard her name thrown around, but didn't know what all the fuss was about until I actually started reading her book. It's amazing so far, it had to go back to the library, so unfortunately I didn't get to finish it yet. But I'm on the waiting list for it :)





Beth Revis
Have you read Across the Universe? If not, you should! The world Beth Revis built on Godspeed was amazing, all the futuristic-ness was wonderful! I still haven't made it around to A Million Suns, but I will. Hopefully just in time for Shades of Earth. 







Richelle Mead
I just recently read Vampire Academy and though Richelle Mead did a fabulous job. The names were a little weird, but that's all part of the world building. I loved learning about all the different Royals and levels of vampires. Definitely a really great author. Hopefully soon I'll get around to the second book. 






Suzanne Collins
Although I didn't really care for The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins is a great author. All the characters in the different districts and their different social statuses really is very creative. I will eventually finish the series, I'm just not in a rush to do so. 






Kat Zhang
Many of you may not have ever heard of Kat Zhang, but her debut novel What's Left of Me just recently came out. And I read it as fast as I could get my hands on it. The synopsis was so weird and original and extremely unique... for me. I've never heard of anything else like that. A must read!






J.K. Rowling

She wrote the wonderful, wizarding world of Harry Potter... Need I say more?!











Well, those are my picks. I only had 8. I know I didn't exactly follow the guidelines, because I didn't pick an actual genre, but they are my favorite to read in terms of world/society building.

Have you read any of these authors?
What did you think? Did you like them?
If you did a TTT, leave a link :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you like my post? Anything I can do to make it better? Leave a comment and let me know :) Thanks for visiting :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...